With the kids going back to school this week I am again faced with the daunting task of packing lunches. While my oldest son will eat almost anything and is happy with the traditional sandwich, my other son is picky and requires creative packing. Over the weekend I decided to make a list of creative lunch ideas based on the things they like to ease the morning packing pressure. These things can be made the night before or in the morning and are easily stowed in wrap or reusable containers.
- Kebobs – these can be made with chunks of cheese, leftover meat, pickles, veggies etc
- Fruit and yogurt dip
- Veggies and dip (my daughter likes to dip her strawberries in chocolate pudding!)
- Salsa and chips (yellow or blue corn chips, rice chips, multigrain chips etc – you can find healthier and often organic versions of these at your local health food store)
- Air popped popcorn – this can be made the night before and can be drizzled with butter or olive oil and sprinkled with sea salt and spices
- Homemade pita pizzas – the kids can help make this the night before and top with their favorite ingredients
- Hummus and pita bread – very easy to make your own hummus and can be paired with pita bread or your child’s favorite cracker
- Rice cakes with melted cheese
- Wraps stuffed with their favorite ingredients – cream cheese, greens, shredded carrots, leftover chicken or steak, hot sauce etc.
- Homemade lemonade – I sweeten mine with honey and crushed raspberries
Hopefully I have listed some things that you haven’t thought of or sparked some creative ideas of your own.